Re: prelink and yum conflict

Tom London wrote:

I've been running this system strict/enforcing most of the time
(running strict/permissive when the policy is wedged).

After 'yum update' a few days ago, after observing the
'prelink messages' noted above, lots of stuff started
breaking, like gconftool-2, gnome-terminal, bononbo-activation-server,
etc.  Each would fail with segmentation faults.

These could all be repaired by reinstalling the 'appropriate'
package (e.g., GConf2, gnome-terminal, libbonobo, ....) via
'rpm -ivh --force yum-cached-package'

Following a suggestion from fedora-test-list, I started running
'rpm -V' (in permissive mode) on my installed packages. Many of these
fail, e.g.:

libuser
S.?......   /usr/bin/lchfn
S.?......   /usr/bin/lchsh
S.?......   /usr/lib/libuser.so.1.1.1
S.?......   /usr/sbin/lchage
S.?......   /usr/sbin/lgroupadd
S.?......   /usr/sbin/lgroupdel
S.?......   /usr/sbin/lgroupmod
S.?......   /usr/sbin/lid
S.?......   /usr/sbin/lnewusers
S.?......   /usr/sbin/lpasswd
S.?......   /usr/sbin/luseradd
S.?......   /usr/sbin/luserdel
S.?......   /usr/sbin/lusermod

each with a line like:
prelink: /usr/lib/liblwres.so.1.1.2: at least one of file's
dependencies has changed since prelinking
prelink: /usr/bin/dig: at least one of file's dependencies has changed
since prelinking
prelink: /usr/bin/host: at least one of file's dependencies has
changed since prelinking
prelink: /usr/bin/nslookup: at least one of file's dependencies has
changed since prelinking
prelink: /usr/bin/nsupdate: at least one of file's dependencies has
changed since prelinking

There are several failure being detected. The '?' means those
files were unreadable, so md5 check could not be attempted.

The spew from prelink is there because rpm executes prelink --undo in
order to verify DSO md5 sums, all that spew is from prelink, not rpm.

Rerunning the prelink cron job probably makes the spew go away as well.

(there are scads of these, picked this one at random.
Sorry, the first set of messages not coordinated with second.).

I can 'make these go away' by reinstalling via 'rpm -ivh --force yum-cached-package', and then
'rpm -V' succeeds with no messages.

Could yum/rpm/prelink be scribbling? Or am I chasing
shadows?

Shadows amidst rpm --verify smoke and mirrors, yes ;-)

73 de Jeff

tom