Re: Fedora and udev

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 09:56:48AM +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> > We either need to get ramfs working in the Fedora kernels or make some changes
> > to the udev plans.
> >
> > One option would be to use an ext2 file system on a ram disk for udev.  It
> > would do all the same stuff as ramfs (at a slightly higher memory cost) and
> > work perfectly with SE Linux.

  ... but it would still leave you with the patches to udev to apply
  [to do symlinks and directories as well as inodes]

  and also would leave you with an "initial startup" issue to set up
  initial perms on /dev/null, /dev/initctl, rights to create /dev/fd/
  etc. all the stuff that the /etc/init.d/udev "hacks" do.

  ... just because you're using a persistent ext2 filesystem with
  xattr permissions storable on a ramdisk it doesn't mean you'd have
  initial setup issues!

  but yes, those could be set up once, in permissive mode, and
  consequently the problem is avoided.

  l.