Re: avc denied from postgresql

Russell Coker wrote:

Let's get back to basics and look at the concepts rather than AVC messages.

/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql uses su to change uid to start the daemon, this is a problem as it's not compatible with the usual su operation.

Huh? su (Substitute User) has been to "Change the effective userid and group id" since I first learned about it in 1978. And is being used for that purpose in the init.d/postgresql stript.

Changing su is not the right solution
Agree.

Perhaps we need to look at pam_selinux again rather than trying to change the init.d/postgresql script?

as we don't even need 1% of the functionality of su,
all we need is a way to call setregid() and setreuid() before executing the script. I'm not sure if we already have a program we can use for this purpose (sudo is not suitable). For a test I spent 30 minutes writing a program that provides all of the su functionality we need for such things, we'll have to include that program if we don't have something better (we should have something better).

/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql does lots of things other than just starting a daemon, for example the code after:
echo -n $"Initializing database: "
Maybe we need a restorecon where it creates the data directory(if not already present (a rare occurance)).
The real work part of initializing the data directory is done with "su -l postgres -c ..." just like the part that starts the server(i.e. su -l postgres -c ...)

What is it about pam_selinux that is causing the problem?
With your latest changes to postgresql.fc and a couple of allow rules,
the server starts in the correct context when booting if the pam_selinux line is commented out of pam.d/su. That would indicate to me that there is something about pam_selinux that is the problem. The error message is:
"Unable to get valid context for postgres, no valid tty"
Perhaps the problem has to do with the 'no valid tty' part?

Thanks for your help,
Richard Hally