Re: How to properly upgrade policy

Thomas Molina wrote:

What's the proper way to upgrade the selinux policy?

yum and rpm leave me with .rpmnew files every single time.

This suggests that you installed the policy source package as well, or
locally modified your policy directly. If you install or update the
policy source package (selinux-policy-strict-sources), then it should
rebuild the policy files from source and load the new ones automatically
as part of the %post. Updating the policy package
(selinux-policy-strict) will then leave you with .rpmnew files because
it sees that the files have been locally rebuilt.

Let me nail this down for my own benefit; maybe I am dense. If you install the policy source package you should refrain from also installing the policy package?

So is it one or the other, but not both?

No policy-sources contains files that can be used to rebuild the policy (policy.18) file. It also contains sources to rebuild file_contexts file. Other files in policy (default_contexts, initrc_context ...) are not part of policy-sources. So policy-sources gives you the ability to modify some of the files in the policy package.