Getting the user ID in log messages...

His guys,

First let me start off by saying that I’ve been running Fedora Core 2 with SELinux in permissive mode since a few days after it was released officially with no real system problems.

That being said, I’m trying to understand how to do things properly to maintain the integrity of the system and perform the auditing I desire.  Is there a good place to look which documents the SELinux relevant commands?  The Fedora Core 2 SELinux FAQ has some interesting info, but relatively few commands.  A Gentoo related site gave me some command ideas.  Perhaps this is on the documentation CD for Fedora Core 2, which I have yet to download?  I expected to be able to hunt through the man pages starting with man selinux, but that didn’t pan out.  I found some other references online called the Getting Started with SE Linux HOWTO and Gentoo SE Linux HOWTO, but these offered some commands not available in the Fedora Core 2 implementation.  To be more specific, I have been able to type “id” and “newrole”, but not able to type “rlpkg” and “run_init”.  Re-labeling a file system is something they do with “cd /etc/security/selinux/src/plicy; make relabel”, but I was unable to find the equivalent.

I have a very specific issue that I’m trying to figure out.  For some reason, when a role violation (perhaps there’s a better phrase) occurs and a log message is produced in /var/log/messages, I would like see a user id and the context.  For example in “Getting Started with SE Linux HOWTO (7. Explanation of log file messages) the example show the following scontext:

scontext: faye:user_r:user_t

This is great, as I would know to contact the user faye and ask about the situation.  But on my Fedora Core 2 machine, my /var/log/messages produces:

scontext: user_u:user_r:user_t

This is not so useful.  As I have no idea who user_u is.  I am using NIS for this system.  Typing “id” on my system produces:

uid=706(dan) gid=20(games) groups=20(games),501(test) context=user_u:user_r:user_t

So I guess everything is consistent with the log entry as far as the system is concerned.  I just don’t want a generic user_u to get filled in for violations.  I want the specific user id and name.  Perhaps I need to configure some more stuff for use with NIS?

Daniel J. Levine

Section Supervisor

Johns Hopkins University

Applied Physics Laboratory