Re: Permission denied when building kernel

Matthew East wrote:

Yes in the README file with the kernel source it underlines that one
should compile as user, and then su to install. But I was using the
command "make rpm" as I thought that if I didn't install the kernel as
an rpm, then it might cause difficulties for the other rpm packages
which depended on the kernel. The "make rpm" command seems to require
you to be root, possibly (I'm no expert) as it uses the /usr/src/redhat
area.

use http://erizo.ucdavis.edu/~dmk/notes/RPMs/Creating_RPMs.html as a guide for how to build rpm packages as normal user.

ps1: %_topdir is enough to build rpm. the %_tmppath is just a security addon.
ps2: i have never succeeded in building rpm of non-modular kernels. "make rpm" fails while triyng the " make modules " part.