Re: Security contexts for the contexts directory?

Stephen Smalley wrote:

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 07:54, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

With the new design of the policy tree, we have moved the "contexts" files into
/etc/selinux/*/contexts/

These files include default_contexts, file_contexts, default_type, failsafe_contexts ...
as well as contexts for individual users like users/root. Currently the security contexts for these files is etc_t. Should we change them so something else? default_contexts_t? Should file_contexts be marked differently then the others?

I'd suggest a single type (other than etc_t) for default_contexts, default_type, failsafe_context, and the other files installed from policy/appconfig. file_contexts should likely have a different type to allow different access, so perhaps it should have its own directory and type. With the old layout and policy, it ends up in policy_config_t, but I think we want to distinguish it from the binary policy file as well as from the appconfig files.

Ok how about, default_contexts_t for contexts directory and users directory. Create a new directory called files and put file_contexts in there with a context of file_contexts_t.

Also since policy is determined by /etc/sysconfig/selinux, should we set a special security context on it? If we do should we move it to a directory where it would be easier to maintain the security context? Maybe rename it to /etc/selinux/config?

I would prefer having a distinct type on it (and moving it to a directory with that type so that we can easily preserve the type), as the integrity of that file is critical to SELinux, at least in the Fedora Core implementation.

Should that have default_contexts_t also? Or something different?