Re: SELinux for RHEL3

Hi Russell,

--On Monday, April 12, 2004 11:46 PM +1000 Russell Coker <russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Fedora Core is going to be the base for future RHEL releases.  Fedora
Core 2  Test 2 is currently the best available distribution for SE Linux,
it has an  option in the GUI installer for installing SE Linux (default
is "on" for this  release, maybe something different for the next test
release), and the policy  supports all the most common tasks you will
want to perform.

So far I've worked with SELinux under Debian Sid, Debian Woody, Gentoo, RHEL 3, and now FC2T2. Not being content with one toe in the water <g>, I'm already running two FC2T2 hosts and expect soon to have more--including several honeypots, as I'm a honeynet researcher.

Commenting as a disinterested party, I affirm that you're absolutely right in your high estimation of FC2T2's SELinux implementation. FC2T2 SELinux rocks, especially for those new to SELinux!

To achieve your goals of generally learning about Red Hat and SE Linux
your  best option is to just download some ISOs of FC2T2.  There are no
plans of  integrating SE Linux into RHEL 3 as well as it is integrated
into Fedora, and  RHEL 4 will be longer than you want to wait.

Actually, in the case of RHEL 3, I was hoping to deploy, more than to learn. I obviously understand that the RHEL 3 packages that were once available are unsupported beta (alpha?) software. But, that's good enough for some of my purposes <g>.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Cheers,

Bill McCarty, Ph.D.
Professor of Information Technology