Re: dmesg errors (sgi_fam)

Russell Coker <russell@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The problem is that famd is an application which accepts network connections,
wants read access to every file that any user can access.  If you want to
have a secure system you don't want many such programs.

Surely it doesn't need access to the file contents - just to stat them, so access to directories (still a security issue, I agree).

Remote famd operation is only for non-polling notifications over the network.
For most people having polling for file status changes on NFS will probably
be OK.

I agree with disabling remote famd, but the original post appeared to be disabling the daemon entirely, which I expect would prevent local file monitoring too. Or do gnome/kde use dnotify directly?

Also, I thought RH/Fedora already shipped with remote famd disabled.

Cheers,

Martin.