Re: Building the documentation of a package that must already be installed

On 2.9.2018 10:58, Dan Čermák wrote:
Igor Gnatenko <ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

On Sun, Sep 2, 2018 at 10:39 AM Dan Čermák <dan.cermak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi list,

I recently wanted to update the Fedora package of gcovr
(https://github.com/gcovr/gcovr). However, I have hit the following
problem: the gcovr doc is build via sphinx, but it won't build unless
gcovr is installed, both the binary and the python package.

Can't you fake some paths to python lib and binary so that documentation is
using those (built but not installed)?

I think I can fake PYTHONPATH (which would fix the import errors), but
the documentation tries to run the gcovr binary, which is created by
setup.py install and not by setup.py build.

As a workaround, I'd build the docs at the end of %install (with PYTHONPATH set to buildroot/sitelib and PATH to buildroot/bindir:$PATH). It's not perfect, but it should work. Certainly don't do it in %check.

Don't forget to add appropriate explanation in a comment.

# We can only build the docs after we've installed the gcovr binary

--
Miro Hrončok