Re: Potential conflict in package names - bear-devel and bear

DC> I tried to submit the package and during review I was made aware of
DČ> the package bear-devel, which is already in the fedora
DČ> repository.

Actually the source package name is just "bear", it merely produces
bear-devel, bear-engine and bear-factory.  So the repository
https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/bear already exists, and your
conflict is more than just an issue with confusion about bear-devel.

DČ> My question is: how should I address this issue? Renaming my
DČ> proposed package to Build-ear would be an option, but the binary
DČ> should still be called bear, to avoid confusion for users. Should I
DČ> ask the upstream author about their opinion concerning renaming?

Fortunately there is nothing in the distribution which provides
/usr/bin/bear, so there wouldn't be a problem there.

I could see perhaps persuading the bear maintainer to rename their
entire package to "bear-engine" and have "bear-engine-devel" and
"bear-engine-factory".  Its binaries are "bend-image", "image-cutter"
(which itself seems conflict-prone), some things with a "bf-" prefix,
and "running-bear".  But any conversation about renaming is one you
should have with the bear package maintainer.

 - J<