Packaging Static Libraries *please reconsider*

From
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Packaging_Static_Libraries>

== Packaging Static Libraries ==

“Packages including libraries SHOULD exclude static libs as far as
 possible (eg by configuring with --disable-static). Applications
 linking against libraries SHOULD link against shared libraries not
 static versions.”

* I would like to suggest this advice be reconsidered *

The second guideline seems fine; a packaged application (executable)
SHOULD link against the shared/dynamic version of a system library.

But this second guideline does not need the first; and I can see
little reason for the first.

Since static libraries should end up in their own seperate *-static
packages, I see very little advantage in excluding them.

Linkers have always (since the dawn of dynamic linking) preferred
shared/dynamic libraries over static versions.  The mere presence of a
libfoo.a file along side a libfoo.so file will have no effect on
executables created.

* Compelling reason for static libraries *

The ability for a developer using a Fedora system to create static
executables, or to link one or more libraries statically in an
otherwise dynamic executable, is a very useful capability.

There are many advantages to static executables.

Maybe this is all TL;DR so see:

<https://digilicious.com/static.html>