Re: Package naming question

Igor Gnatenko <ignatenkobrain@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would like to hear opinion of other packagers about naming. We have
> `parallel` utility implemented in Rust which is drop-in replacement for GNU
> parallel. I was thinking how to name package and how people would expect it to
> be named. So far options are:
>
> * rust-parallel
> * parallel-rust
> * parallel-rs

Users of a program – as opposed to a library – don't normally need to
know what language the program is written in, and programs packaged in
Fedora – unlike libraries for some languages – don't normally have the
language in the package name.

Is your package meant to be parallel-installable with the parallel
package? If so, what is the program called, since /usr/bin/parallel is
taken? Or is it meant to conflict with GNU Parallel?

Perhaps both the program and the package should have a name that has
some connection to the purpose of the reimplementation? What would be
the reason why a user would choose the Rust implementation over GNU
Parallel? Is it meant to be faster? Even more parallel? Less buggy?
Something else?

If the only reason is that the user hates Perl and wants to use programs
written in Rust instead, then I guess it makes sense to have "rust" in
the package name.

Björn Persson