Re: rebasing older branches on (vs merge from) master

On 11/26/2016 01:51 PM, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
I'd like to know if rebasing in the packages git repo is generally
frowned upon or I can use for my use case. Basically, I have a package
that has some broken tests upstream is looking into; however these
failures only shows on rawhide, so I have tests disabled there until
situation if fixed.

Other, unaffected branches, has a commit to restore the tests
execution, something like this:

[giallu@faxe rdkit (f25)]$ git lola
* fb42a18 (origin/master, origin/HEAD, master) new upstream release
* 224900e - fix non-x86 builds universally
| * 3346783 (HEAD -> f25, origin/f25) reactivate tests
|/
* bb09397 temporarily disable tests

so now I would like to rebase f25 to master so I pickup the new
release AND keep the tests activated.

Opinions?

Hi!
After you do a rebase in your local git repo, you have to use `git push --force` to get those changes into the dist-git. Firstly, I believe that is not possible, however, even if it was I don't think it's a good idea. You're losing the history of the branch by doing that. I think a merge is a much better solution.

Regards,
Tomas