Re: exploring a crazy (?) idea: /opt/fedora/apps for some applications?

On 10/19/2016 01:50 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:

    /opt is reserved for the installation of add-on application
    software packages.

... but it doesn't actually define what "add-on application software
packages" are.

They are referring to any arbitrary non-OS-vendor provided add-on package/suite (esp. CSS packages) etc.

For them, /opt/<vendor> is the playground they can play any crazy packaging games they want to.

Have a look into google's chrome packaging, if you want an example, which pretty nicely respects the FHS.

Although we integrate it all together in Fedora,
arguably a lot of our software could qualify.
Over the years, FPC repeatedly has discussed this.

IIRC, we basically had ruled out this idea for Fedora packages, because their should not be any technical need to resort to /opt for opensource packages, which are part of the distro.

Weather putting third-party packages (rpmfusion, etc.) into /opt/<third-party> instead of /usr (I.e. merging with the distro) is a matter of taste.

Weather putting flatpaks into /opt is a clever idea, I don't want to comment on, because I consider flatpaks to be an idea which is best to be abandoned, ASAP.

Ralf