Re: [RFC] Standardizing RPM macro for out-of-tree builds

On Monday, October 17, 2016 8:55:27 PM CEST Igor Gnatenko wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 7:13 PM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 10/17/2016 04:37 PM, Igor Gnatenko wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> during last FPC meeting we agreed[0]
> >
> > Well, it was not agreed. Actually, I quit the meeting in protest against
> > your plan and your lack of understanding.
> >
> >> that we need some standardization
> >> of macro related to builds where builddir != srcdir (and with
> >> possibility to make it builddir = srcdir).
> >
> > For decades, this is has been called VPATH-builds in make terms.
> >
> >> I was working to make guidelines for ninja and meson. For ninja it
> >> doesn't matter from where you build (it's like make), but meson itself
> >> accepts ONLY out-of-tree builds. Would be nice to get system-wide
> >> (rpm-wide?) macro which stands for:
> >> 1) source directory where CMakeLists.txt/meson.build/configure are
> >> 2) build directory (I think _target_platform is a good candidate)
> >>
> >> to make out-of-tree conversion to in-tree, you do the RPM variable
> >> override.
> >
> > I don't see any need to do so nor has there been any demand for such beasts
> > ever since rpm exists.
> >
> > $(PWD), pushd/popd, sub-shelling are common means to avoid these.
> >
> >> For example, in openSUSE it's defined in cmake[1] as __builddir and
> >> __srcdir.
> >
> > Yes, SUSE always has a long history in cluttering their specs with useless
> > macros and questionable features.
> >
> >> Ideas, suggestions are appreciated!
> >
> > IMO, just drop this idea. It's featuritis.
> >
> > Pavel
>
> Problem is that with meson everyone will need to put this boilerplate
> stuff in *each* spec.

Is this strictly %meson related?  Could the generalizing be done in
`redhat-rpm-macros` within %meson_ namespace so we can avoid touching all
packages?

Though I'm not aware of the actual PoC, neither what boilerplate typing
needs to be done for every %meson package, probably worth sharing ...

Pavel