Re: New dynamic macro for tracking fpc (Free Pascal Compiler) supported architectures

Mattia Verga wrote:
> It would be nice to have a new dynamic macro for tracking fpc (Free
> Pascal Compiler) supported architectures. Currently all packages
> which depend on fpc to build must list in the .spec file the
> ExclusiveArch entry. Having an ExclusiveArch: %{fpc_arches} macro
> would be easier and future proof since in future there will be no
> need of manual intervention if fpc will become available on more
> architectures.

You'll want to put that macro in a file in /usr/lib/rpm/macros.d. Name
the file macros.fpc-srpm to follow the convention, and package it in a
separate package named fpc-srpm-macros. Then ask the maintainers of
redhat-rpm-config to require fpc-srpm-macros.

The macro must be either in redhat-rpm-config or in a package that
redhat-rpm-config requires so that it's always present, because
ExclusiveArch is evaluated before BuildRequires takes effect. A
separate package has the advantage that the same people who maintain
the Free Pascal Compiler can also maintain the macro.

The package should have absolutely minimal dependencies to avoid
bloating a minimal installation, and minimal build-time dependencies to
avoid complicating bootstrapping on new architectures.

As far as I know no special permission is required to do this. The
Packaging Committee discussed taking control of these macros some time
ago, but no decision has been made that I have seen.

Björn Persson