Re: Release Tag for Pre-release *and* Snapshot

On Tue, 1 Sep 2015, Michael Schwendt wrote:

I've got a package where upstream that has basically stopped doing
releases, so I package git snapshots.  However, the last release they did
was a pre-release (0.8.0rc1).  Any suggestions on what an appropriate
Release tag should be in this case?

Something like:

0.%{releasenum}.rc1git%{shortcommit}%{?dist}

Version: 0.8.0
Release: 0.%{releasenum}.rc1%{?dist}

That's the normal pre-release versioning scheme.

Absolutely no need to insert the git snapshot stuff in there as well.

In case you update to a future snapshot, it's possible to return to the
snapshot versioning scheme. Afterall, %{releasenum} is most significant
in both schemes, and if bumped correctly, anything right of it doesn't
matter during RPM version comparison.

Sorry, I wasn't completely clear in what I'm doing. I'm updating to another git snapshot that is post 0.8.0rc1, so I *should* have the git hash in the version string, right? That's why I had come up with rc1git{hash}.

Scott