Re: github URLs?

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 11:02:07AM -0700, Gerald B. Cox wrote:
>    On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 12:32 AM, Pierre-Yves Chibon <pingou@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>    wrote:
>
>      That is a valid point, but we can reverse the problem:
>      We can't do anything about upstreams that re-generate multiple times the
>      archive
>      for the same release, but with the current guidelines we can do
>      something about
>      the upstreams that are moving tags around.
>
>      That sounds to me like a good reason to do so.

>      The only counter-argument I can think of right now is the frequency at
>      which the
>      abuse occurs on github.
>      In my experience, it is much more frequent.
>
>    Thanks again for taking the time to reply! A
>    That is a good point, and I agree.A  We should always strive to fix things
>    if we can.
>    My concern is the practical effect of implementing a guideline that says
>    you mustA
>    always use commit hash when packaging source from Git repositories; but if
>    the Project
>    takes that same archive and uploads it to some URL, that it is now somehow
>    magically golden.
>    That just strikes me as a bit capricious.
>    I was a bit surprised at first with the frequency you believe this is
>    happening with Git;A
>    but I can believe there are many people playing around, experimenting and
>    learning
>    about Git; and these people can make mistakes mainly because they haven't
>    RTFM; but
>    I don't think we should be concerned about those particular repositories.
>
>    The ones we are concerned about are the ones that we would want to
>    package; and I really
>    find it hard to imagine that someone would advance so far in developing
>    something
>    we would want to package, yet has a remained completely ignorant on how to
>    properly
>    use their VCS.

I think this is the core of our disagreement, many of the project we package are
doing this. Ask Remi, he maintains several hundreds of packages and he can
testify that this behavior is occurring also for projects that are packaged in
Fedora and in other distributions.
The fact that you find it hard to imagine is unfortunately not correlated with
the fact that it occurs, also for projects we (as in Fedora) are interested in.

Pierre