Re: Packages without a dist tag

On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 10:44:26 -0400,
 Martin Krizek <mkrizek@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
According to [1], using a dist tag is mandatory. However there are quite a few
packages [2] where a dist tag is missing. I am curious if those are bugs and
should be filed. Or are there any exceptions that I am missing?

Some of those were large data sets for games. The idea was that when doing an upgrade between releases you could save downloading a large amount of data when there wasn't really a change. This cost isn't as bad now and there \ are some downsides to not having the dist tag. When I get involved with such games now, I add dist tags, but I haven't looked for these cases systematically.