Re: Packaging Guidelines for Applications using Git Submodules

On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 07:33:20PM -0700, Gerald B. Cox wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle the situation where a project
> decides to use submodules in Git.  The archive generated doesn't incorporate
> the submodule files.

If upstream is generating the archive, need to ping them that their tarball
is broken.  If it's an archive generated using github's automatic archiving
then the procedure you outline below is valid.

You could also make separate tarballs for the submodules but you have to get
the proper versions (so you probably end up doing a "git submodule update
--init" to do that anyway).

-Toshio