Appdata validation alternative

Hi all,

currently we have the following command for appdata validation in the guidelines
[1]:

appstream-util validate-relax --nonet %{buildroot}/%{_datadir}/appdata/*.appdata.xml

This is OK so far and it works... But libappstream-glib (which provides the
appstream-util command) requires gtk3. That's not nice if we package software
based on Qt or any other GUI toolkit. Is there an alternative way to validate
appdata files without pulling in software related to a certain GUI toolkit?

I found already appdata-tools, but that one also depends on libappstream-glib.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:AppData

Best Regards,
Mario