Re: Interesting blog on simplifying packaging for OS bootstrapping

On 12/22/2014 11:55 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
Dne 22.12.2014 v 10:46 Ralf Corsepius napsal(a):
On 12/22/2014 10:15 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
Dne 20.12.2014 v 18:55 Jason L Tibbitts III napsal(a):
So I stumbled upon this blog post:

http://developerblog.redhat.com/2014/12/19/bootstrapping-power8-little-endian-and-common-pitfalls/

and there are a few things in there which seem like they might be good
to incorporate into our packaging guidelines, or perhaps into our
tooling (rpm up through mock and koji).  Random thoughts follow.

Dependency minimization is obviously a big one; we struggle with this.
Build-time dependency minimization is far more difficult.

First step is to have really minimal build root. For me that means to
get rid of Perl from it. I hope that Perl guys are slowly working on
fixing their packages.

To me, what you say is a religious statement, which doesn't have any
immediate benefits, but already has shown its harmful nature because
is already is causing malfunctions.

As well as broken Perl caused malfunctions of PPC builders.

And? This is Red Hat's problem. I think hardly anybody outside of RH these days has access to PPC-HW, so if RH wants to support the PPC, RH will have to fix the bugs being encountered themselfs.

What Red Hat's crusade (That's what I call it) against Perl has done at other places (replacing fully functional tools with half functional replacements) is RH to cause bugs - I regret but this is's a situation, which really annoys and upsets me.

On a wider scope, I'd agree to gradually minimizing Fedora's
buildroots, which would mean to gradually remove implicit package deps
and making package requirements more explicit.

So, why not remove all scripted languages from buildroots and require
them to be explicitly BR:'d and R:'ed?

I agree with these of course. And I'd go one step further and remove
also gcc, gcc-c++ and make.
Except that I'd consider this to be non-implementable and non-realistic in short terms, I'd not be opposed to this. That's why I am taking about "gradually".

These are not needed for most of packages
for scripting languages.
Right, but they are BR:'s of all packages most and R:'s of many packages. Also, perl is a requirement of autotools-based packages => So, the win will be not be as overwhelming as you probably assume.

Ralf