Re: Changes in Guidelines Connected to "Python 3 as Default" Change

On Thu, Dec 04, 2014 at 04:18:00PM +0100, Miroslav Suchý wrote:

> >Of course it gets a little trickier for things like nose2.  nose2-3 is
> >#!/usr/bin/python3.
> >

> +1
>
> E.g.:
> package "dnf" now use python2 and there exists package "python3-dnf". My
> common sense expects that in Fedora 22 "dnf" would start using python3 and
> will obsolete "python3-dnf". And if it makes sense for maintainer, new
> subpackage python2-dnf" will be created to support legacy layered
> applications.

There's something interesting with dnf actually... python3-dnf currently ships
a /usr/bin/dnf-3.  I don't think that's right.  AFAICT, there's no intended reason
that the entry script will function differently when run under python2 vs
under python3.  Minus bugs, the behaviour of the two should be the same.

Now since dnf and python3 are major components in the OS as we move to the
future, we may be shipping dnf-3 so that we can test that that combination
works well for the switchover.  However, when we move to python3 for scripts
we should not create a /usr/bin/dnf-2 in the python-dnf package as those
same needs do not exist.  python-dnf should just ship the python2 version of
the library, not the commandline tool.

-Toshio