Re: Source0 for github ?

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 05:38:59PM -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Sep 2014 11:54:04 -0700
> Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > Github has changed this several times :-(  if the old url scheme is
> > not working any longer the guidelines should be updated.  Fpc ticket
> > is probably best for that.  From your description of what urls work,
> > I'm not sure if there's a good recommendation for a github url in
> > source0 (have to test the permutations to see). Might have to go back
> > to putting the url in a comment.
>
> I tried a few permutations and none with $PROJECT-%{commit}.tar.gz
> worked ...
>
> What should be put in the fpc ticket ?

The format that helps the FPC the most is to copy the existing guideline (or
section if it's just a portion) into a fresh wiki page, submit.  Then make
proposed changes and commit.  When you're happy with it, open an FPC ticket
that points to the page and also lists the important facts that you've
discovered about why the change needs to be made (in this case, that the
present URL scheme no longer works and that there doesn't appear to be any
nice replacement).

If $PROJECT-%{commit}.tar.gz no longer works, I'd probably say that
downloading using wget or curl to ${PROJECT}-%{commit}.tar.gz and then
listing the url to use in a spec file comment is the way to go.  An
alternative is to use the %{commit}.tar.gz url in the Source0 but the
headers pose their own technical problem there and having a bunch of
tarballs with simply commit hashes as names is less than ideal from a human
readable standpoint.

I'm no longer on the FPC so it'll be up to you and the present FPC members
to decide what alternative to go with.

-Toshio