Re: jquery-ui packaging for use in OpenStack-Dashboard

On 29/08/14 12:40, Pierre-Yves Chibon wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 12:24:39PM +0200, Matthias Runge wrote:

>>> Have you consider making a jquery-ui1.10 compat package?
>>
>> I was considering to use XStatic-* packages. XStatic provides a way to
>> package js-libs to be installable via pip, thus making it convenient for
>> upstream projects.
>
> XStatic-* sounds quite nice but I don't see how exactly they solve the problem
> of packaging webapps. Could you explain what you have in mind?

They don't package webapps. In OpenStack, every package requirement
upstream is installed via pip install. OpenStack Dashboard is written in
Django. Django uses the concept of putting all static files within a app.
A django included script walks through all installed apps and pulls
static files into one defined static assets dir.

XStatic-foo packages solve two issues here: provide pip packaging of
JavaScript libs (thus making them installable in a test enviroment) and
also make those Javascript files relocatable in the file system.

This way, I can place them conforming to Web Assets Feature in %{_jsdir}
and still have the mapping via python-XStatic.

Matthias