Re: mp3 source (but not compiled) in squeak package

On Sun, 30 Sep 2012 22:20:15 -0400, Matthew Miller wrote:

> > > The Squeak VM package in Fedora includes the upstream source code for MP3
> > > support, but disables actually building it. Is that okay, or does the
> > > tarball need to be sanitized?
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:SourceURL#When_Upstream_uses_Prohibited_Code
>
> Right, I saw that, but it's not clear if MP3 falls under "not allowed to
> ship even as source code". If that's the case, shouldn't we just say so?

Then you would need to explain what you're thinking.
You've pointed at

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Forbidden_items?rd=ForbiddenItems#MP3_Support

  | MP3 encoding and decoding support is not included in any Fedora
  | application because MP3 is heavily patented in several regions
  | including the United States. The patent holder is unwilling to give an
  | unrestricted patent grant, as required by the GPL. [...]

and in turn I've pointed at

  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:SourceURL#When_Upstream_uses_Prohibited_Code

  | Some upstream packages include patents or trademarks that we are not
  | allowed to ship even as source code. In these cases you have to modify
  | the source tarball to remove this code before you even upload it to
  | the build system. [...]

so all you ask for is to be even more explicit in connecting these two?

--
Fedora release 17 (Beefy Miracle) - Linux 3.5.4-2.fc17.x86_64
loadavg: 0.35 0.29 0.25