Re: Should {NEWS, CHANGELOG, README, etc} go into main package or -doc subpackage?

On 09/10/2012 08:46 AM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
Hi,

Can somebody clarify where should go the files mentioned in $SUBJECT if
the package provides a -doc subpackage? It is obvious that the LICENSE
file must go into the main package, but what about the others? There are
packages, which has the $SUBJECT files in main package, but I think they
should go into -doc subpackage. What else wold be the -doc subpackage
purpose then?

BTW it would be nice if the guidelines could be clarified regarding this
issue.

true the existing basic guideline:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines#Documentation

doesn't explicitly cover that case. I'd tend to defer this to the packagers' best judgment.

My own personal opinion is that README (and the others mentioned to a lesser degree) are generally essential so should be included in the main package (unless -doc is not optional, ie, is pulled in by main package dependencies)

-- rex