Re: Location of LICENSE and README file

Dne 16.8.2012 14:46, Ralf Corsepius napsal(a):
On 08/16/2012 02:29 PM, Miroslav Suchy wrote:
Hi,
I packaged dozen of packages and I'm used to put LICENSE and README
files just as:
    %doc README LICENSE
which place these files in:
    /usr/share/doc/%{name}-%{version}

Recently I started packaging some rubygems and reviewers pointed [1,2]
me that I should not explicitly move these files to this location and
leave them in %{gem_instdir}.
I do not feel it is correct behaviour.

Agreed.

Though there can be reasons for not putting LICENSE and README files into %_docdir [1], I am inclined to believe the ruby packages's behavior to be a "bad habit" which ought to be abandoned.

You should distinguish between Ruby packages and RubyGems packages, where Mirek actually refers to the later. Although this might be small difference to you, the reality is, that each RubyGem package reside in exactly one path, where Ruby package files goes to one shared directory with no strict naming conventions. So if you keep README from RubyGem package in the original location, they do not conflict, while if you would do the same for Ruby packages, there could be conflicts. So for Ruby packages, it makes sense to put them into /usr/share/doc while for RubyGems packages, it makes sense to keep the gem structure as close to the original gem as possible.

And there are other reasons why not move the documentation around:

* For every Ruby package, you can generate its documentation using RDoc. If you keep the license in the original place, the generated documentation will cover it, if you move it somewhere else, it will be missing from documentation.

* Metadata of the gem may refer to the documentation files. However I do not expect any issues in this area.

* Sometimes happens, that there is VERSION file which is referenced by code, which might cause broken behavior or library.

* It is more work.

Vit

Ralf

[1] Eg. READMEs may document files neighboring them. Forcing such READMEs into %_docdir doesn't make much sense, IMO.