Re: clarification: python2 modules allowed to go into python2-foo?

I agree with what Toshio has said. We're wedded to the existing naming for a host of reasons.

As for the flag day Toshio postulates when we pull a lever and switch from python2 to python3, this is something that keeps me awake at night sadly. I know many of the python packages I'm involved with will simply not work with a python3 interpreter without a significant porting effort (then there is the issue of backward support for python2 in those same packages). This is especially relevant to Python modules written in C (e.g. CPython) of which there are quite a few.

So far the only relief from this dilemma has been the observation that we've been postponing the day of reckoning because the pain threshold is so high. In other words I don't have to deal with it today.

All of this is to reinforce the point that anything which might cause via whatever means python2 code to mistakenly execute in a python3 environment would be disastrous and must be carefully avoided.

--
John Dennis <jdennis@xxxxxxxxxx>

Looking to carve out IT costs?
www.redhat.com/carveoutcosts/