Re: RPM macros

On 07/10/2012 01:29 PM, Vít Ondruch wrote:
Hi,

I noticed that in revised haskell guidelines [1], there is mentioned the
ghc-rpm-macros package, which provides macros.ghc file, which in turns
provides some useful macros for packaging of Haskell packages. In Ruby,
we provide similar macro files in ruby-devel and rubygems-devel
subpackages respectively. Perl has their macros directly in the rpm
package itself.

This seems to be a bit inconsistent to me. So my question is: shouldn't
we standardize some best practices with regards of RPM macros? For
example for Ruby, we placed the macros into -devel subpackages, because
we believe that it is just development dependency. Any opinions?

Vit

[1]
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/packaging/2012-July/008527.html

It depends what you need to do. Part of Perl macros is in a special package perl-srpm-macros, which is required by redhat-rpm-config. We should have all macros defined in perl-srpm-macros in buildroot everytime, which was one of our issues during annual rebuild.

Marcela