Re: Prefix for database add-on packages?

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 00:50:08 +0530, Viji V Nair wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 12:45 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Please do NOT give it a name starting with "postgresql-". ÂThat would
>> cause great confusion because people couldn't tell which RPMs originate
>> with postgresql itself and which originate from other packages.
>
> As Michel said there are many packages in the repo starts with
> postgresql-*, all of them are not a part of the actual postgresql. Eg:
> postgresql-pgpool
>
> We need to correct them as well, if possible :)

Yup. pgRouting also provides rules for doing Debian packages, but there
does not appear to be any official Debian release yet:

http://packages.debian.org/search?
keywords=pgrouting&searchon=all&suite=all&section=all

so we don't have to follow their postgresql-X.Y-pgrouting naming. In any
case, the Debian situation is probably different enough, in that they
have several PostgreSQL versions (like we have two Python stacks) and
parallel-installable PostgreSQL-dependent packages have to be prefixed to
avoid confusion.

In this case I'd defer to Tom as both a PostgreSQL developer and a Red
Hat employee :)

Thanks,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim