About libtool usage

Hi,

I've read on http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Packaging_Static_Libraries

"Libtool archives, foo.la files, should not be included. Packages
using libtool will install these by default even if you configure with
--disable-static, so they may need to be removed before packaging. Due
to bugs in older versions of libtool or bugs in programs that use it,
there are times when it is not always possible to remove *.la files
without modifying the program. In most cases it is fairly easy to work
with upstream to fix these issues. Note that if you are updating a
library in a stable release (not devel) and the package already
contains *.la files, removing the *.la files should be treated as an
API/ABI change -- ie: Removing them changes the interface that the
library gives to the rest of the world and should not be undertaken
lightly."

Does that mean that we should not use libtool? What if I'd want to
build a shared library?

Thanks in advance!
Sergio Belkin http://www.sergiobelkin.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com