Re: pkgconfig as BuildRequires really needed?

On 06/22/2010 05:55 PM, Parag N(पराग़) wrote:
> Hi,
>     I see minimal build environment always pulling pkgconfig and also
> we have " There is no need to include the following packages or their
> dependencies as BuildRequires because they would occur too often."
> written in packaging guidelines[1]. Does this mean I can recommend in
> new package reviews or existing package owners to drop BuildRequires:
> pkgconfig in spec files?

No, packages which utilize pkg-config while building should require
BR: pkgconfig.

The fact pkgconfig is often indirectly pulled-in (in most cases by other
*-devel packages) while building is a just a reflection of the state of
these "other packages" were in when they had been built.

Though it's unlikely to happen, they may drop or loose their *.pc's at
any time and thus loose this implicit dependency on pkgconfig.

What is supposed to be safe is to drop "Requires: pkgconfig", because
today's rpmbuild is supposed to add this dependency automatically.

Ralf