Re: The role of %{_libexecdir} for using environment-modules

Rex Dieter wrote:
Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:
On Wednesday, 08 October 2008 at 15:28, Ed Hill wrote:

  /usr/libexec/%{name}
  /usr/libexec/%{name}-%{version}

that allows both names and, if desired, versions.

It still feels like a bit of an abuse of libexec.
I prefer using %{_libdir}/%{name}(-%{version})/bin for this purpose.

Agreed. As had been pointed out already, libexec is for private stuff, not exposed to the end-user.

Agreed also.

Also, while I'm not familiar with the app, it still feels odd to ship > 1 version, and should be avoided if reasonably possible.

Yes I have a problem with that too. There are very few "leaf" (i.e. non-libs) packages that have multiple installable concurrent versions. gcc is an example, For compat-gcc-XXX, the "public" executables live in /usr/bin but have a version suffix added (i.e. "/usr/bin/gcc34"), while the "private" executables live in a versioned directory under /usr/libexec, and that path is hardcoded into the compat-gcc build.

so there are 2 issues to discuss here:

1) multiple concurrent versions installed. Is that really necessary ? Is it a question of binary data compatibility, or a whole set of features that were removed by the new version ?

2) where to put the binaries. Gromacs seems to have 50+ executables (what's the exact number?). Most have non-trivial names with a "g_" prefix, a few are more conflict-prone, namely "wheel", "highway" or "editconf".