Re: Question about how libgcj-devel requires zlib

Denis Leroy wrote:
seth vidal wrote:
On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 11:33 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
While playing with custom repos I noticed that libgcj-devel requires a
file from zlib-devel that isn't explicitly provided. In a mixed x86_86 / i386
environmentment this requires looking at the file lists to see that
libgcj-devel-4.3.2-4.i386 needs zlib-1.2.3-18.fc9.i386 and that
zlib-1.2.3-18.fc9.x86_64 isn't good enough.

I am not sure if this is actually a bug though and if so, which package
is at fault. I was hoping to get some guidance here on whether or not
this is something I should bugzilla.

I think that file dep is explicit - b/c libgcj-devel-4.3.2-4.i386 needs
the i386 version of that package - not the x86_64.

do you know what is the technical reason for this dependency ? Exotic build system ?

With a simple bump and rebuild of zlib (using the new rpm), zlib-devel would pick up provides of zlib-devel%{?_isa} (on i386 this would be zlib-devel(x86-32) and on x86_64 it would be zlib-devel(x86-64)). Dependencies of zlib-devel%{?_isa} could then be added in other packages where needed.

Ideally there would be a mass rebuild prior to F10 of all packages where this is likely to be useful (e.g. everything providing a -devel package) that have not been rebuilt using the new rpm. This would ensure that spec files using %{?_isa} dependencies would be compatible with all supported Fedora releases after F10 goes gold. By this I mean that in F9 the expansion of the %{?_isa} macro would be empty and hence transparent, and for F10 onwards, any package that might be expected to provide %{?_isa} dependencies will do so. Without a rebuild prior to F10, it's possible for instance that a rebuild of zlib early in F11 development could lead to F11 packages having zlib-devel%{?_isa} dependencies added, but packages built from the same spec files on F10 would have broken deps because the zlib-devel%{?_isa} dependency would be unsatisfied there.

Paul.