Re: A few links broken in the ReviewGuidelines

On 03.08.2008 15:12, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

As an aside, someone recently complained to me that they were unable to
"fix a bug" in the guidelines. When I inquired further, I discovered
that the bug they wanted to fix was not a bug at all, but rather, a
change that would have caused a lot of broken packages if it was
adopted.

This is exactly why we have ACLs on the guidelines.

Sorry, but to me that sounds like a lame excuse.

A lot of wikis (including wikipedia) show that the benefits from being open to all heavily outweighs the disadvantage that someone can add something wrong to a page. The guidelines in fact were open in the early Extras days and I'd say they benefited from that a lot.

But sure, it happens that someone adds things to a page that are wrong or misleading. No big deal, just manage it wiki style: let two or three people subscribe to the pages in question and let them watch for changes closely. If something bad happens just revert it. Done.

Another solution: have two versions -- one locked and one open for editing; then people can enhance the latter easily and all you have to do now and then is to diff the two pages with tools like meld and merge the changes over. Done.

Cu
knurd