Blocking reviews on to be written guidelines?

Hi All,

Yesterday I wrote a mail to the devel list asking to swap some reviews. One of the persons who responded is Konrad Meyer. The 2 packages he wants me to review in return are both java packages.

His message got a reply from Lubomir Kundrak, stating that he has a couple fo java packages under review too, which are currently blocked on F-GUIDELINES, because the java packaging guidelines are not finished.

I find this somewhat strange and leading to chicken and eggs problems. I find the current situation with ocaml where with the initial pakage submissions some draft guidelines (which I helped write a little) were written and then used during review, moving forward with a best foot forward concept.

I find blocking packages waiting for guidelines counter productive, both in general and esp. because often first more experience is needed to write definitive guidelines.

The only important guideline to get right from the start is the naming rules, as to avoid lots of renames later, which we did with ocaml.

So do we really want package reviews to be stalled waiting for guidelines issues other then legal ones (which ofcourse must stall until resolved) ?

Esp, with java packages I find this strange as we already have lots of java packages in the distro, giving plenty example how we currently do java things, and this seems to work well.

Regards,

Hans