How to deal with folders that need the user to change permissions on?

Hi,

the default mediawiki install does not allow image uploads (on
puprose) and requires the user to adjust permissions
(#231542). Perhaps there is a better way to deal with this in
mediawiki, but the general issue came up:

Suppose a package requires the user/admin to change permissions on a
folder to enable some functionality. How do we deal with that? A
package upgrade resets the permissions and there is no way to tell rpm
that this folder is "%configdir".

A workaround would be to not own this folder which is very ugly,
violates guidelines, leaves orphaned folders behind, and is just not
The Right Solution. Which is The Right Solution?

(again in the context of "folder permission change really required by
a package", I hope mediawiki's issue may be worked around, so don't
stick to this example)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net