Re: Guidelines and epochs

Michael Schwendt wrote:

Better would be to keep Epoch out of explicit versioned dependencies
completely and rely on Epoch-less "Provides". Example: Instead of doing
"BuildRequires: gtk+-devel >= 1:1.2.10" (notice the Epoch) one would do
"BuildRequires: gtk+(api) >= 1.2.10" and gtk+-devel would "Provides:
gtk+(abi) = %{version}" regardless of its"Epoch: 1" in the package.
The Epoch would continue to aid package resolvers.

This is an interesting concept: use a virtual provides to avoid referring to the Epoch of the package, and yet the Epock will displace old generation ones.

I wonder if this is possible or convenient in all cases. We may end up with some ugly virtual provide names in some cases. But I like the idea in general -- people tend to forget the "1:" prefix.

Regards,
Fernando