Re: kmdls: very good support for custom kernels (was: kernel-module packaging discussing ...)

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 13:36 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:

> I have added this argument to the wiki. kmdls allow you to bolster
> your oen kernel package called my-special-kernel-2.6.18-111 and
> support it with kmdls.
[...]
> kmdls fully support custom kernel rpms.

This is one new example about the inaccuracies/omissions of the current
Wiki docs and belongs in the area I don't think makes sense to even
discuss at the moment, but because "FUD" appeared in one of the

And kmods don't because they require specific Provides from the target
kernel?  Requires: /boot/vmlinuz-* is a no go, it's non-portable
(example: ia64) and not arch-qualified (example: possible i586/i686
modules/kernel mismatch).

If the argument is that implementation of the kmdl macros can be changed
according to what's available in the target system, so can kmodtool and
the related macros.