Re: Re: Kernel Module Packaging Standard Teleconference

Axel Thimm schrieb:
[...]
I answered to this on fedora-devel. I also added this to the wiki. But
still let's give an example (versions are faked and simplified, I
don't want to go hunting them, but the example is bitter real):

ipw2200-1 requires userland package ipw2200-firmware-1

We have two kernels, "a" the old one, "b" the new one. So kmod would
deliver something like

ipw2200-kmod-1-a and
ipw2200-kmod-1-b

For the two kernels before the module upgrade. Now the following three
packages hit the repo

ipw2200-kmod-2-a and
ipw2200-kmod-2-b
ipw2200-firmware-2

And the kmods require the new firmware.

You can package both the old and the new firmware in one package. We did it in livna for ipw2200 because people might still run older Fedora Kernels that requires the new firmware, while the up2date kernel requires the new firmware.

CU
thl