Proposal: reject the one-spec approach (was: Re: Mail voting on kmdl adoption)

Hi all!

I think we fight to many battles at once. So let's start concentrate on one of the easy ones first. As the uname -r debatte is likely to take some time I choose the "one-spec approach" one.

I'd like to propose that the packaging group rejects this part from Axels scheme:

Axel Thimm schrieb:

b) kernel module scheme needs one-specfile approach (for both usreland
   and kernel modules)

We currently have a split with the current kmod standard, e.g. userland and kmod have their own packages (spot was one of the drivers behind it IIRC).

Both approaches have small advantages and disadvantages (I don't think mention the pros and cons of each one here makes much sense), but there is nothing earth scattering that make one of the two much better.

But the split
- was agreed on some month ago by FESCo (the predecessor of the packaging committee in this respect). Why change it again without a good reason? - changeing all the existing specs over to a one-specfile approach will be a lot of work because
-- it's already in production (in FE and LVN)
-- we have a lot of packages under review that use the split approach;
-- is time critical because we're already after test2
- packagers and some reviewers are familiar with it already
- it works in the buildsystem already -- the kmdl scheme would need special handling that needs to be programmed

So changing this will be lot's of trouble without a benefit. So let's reject this part now.

CU
thl