Re: PHP packaging policy notes

Christopher Stone wrote:
On 7/4/06, Christopher Stone <chris.stone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
BTW, I have updated my pear spec template
http://tkmame.retrogames.com/fedora-extras/spectemplate-pear.spec to
%ghost %{peardir}/.* rather than rm'ing them during the install.

%exclude might be better here, I think %ghost might try to remove them
on uninstall, but I'm not sure why pear puts them there to begin with?

Because when we do stuff in RPM build roots, PEAR has nowhere to write its package data (e.g. list of installed packages) so it sets up all those files. They are not needed in any way.

Arguably the --packagingroot option should omit the generation of these files full stop. Might be worth discussing upstream.

Either way, I think those files should be in either %exclude or
%ghost rather than rm'd during the install process.

I'm not sure what difference it makes whether they are rm'd or excluded. They certainly don't want to be %ghost.

Tim