Re: KDE vs Gnome for Fedora Jam

Hi Keith,

On 12/17/20 10:05 AM, Keith Smith wrote:
Hello Eric;

I'm a long time Linux user (Mint and Fedora Gnome workstation).  I
recently setup Mint with JACK and Audour 6 to record my music using my
new MOTU M4, but experienced latency/buffer under run problems due to
my old PC.
So I'm building a new DAW that's super fast and I want to switch to
Fedora Jam. However, my experience is with Gnome and I'm not keen on
learning a new desktop environment + apps

Question: Why was KDE chosen for this spin and are there any
disadvantages to using a Gnome workstation spin instead and adding the
Fedora Jam packages?
Plasma was chosen prior to my involvement, so it's mostly legacy. However, I did ping the Fedora development list a few months ago about perhaps switching, and the general consensus was that Jam should remain on Plasma since the chosen toolkit for most music apps seems to be Qt, and most creativity and music-based distributions (see KXStudio, Ubuntu Studio) have either traditionally used Plasma or have moved to Plasma with good reasons. Additionally, GNOME tends to be more resource-intensive than Plasma, so it seemed to be a better default with that opinion.

There is nothing stopping you from using the GNOME Workstation and adding the "Audio Production" group to it. However, there are three disadvantages to doing that: 1) By default, Jam has an additional kernel parameter to enable the lowlatency configurations of the kernel, 2) Plasma has lower overhead, and 3) You'd have to take the extra steps involved as a result of not having the software to begin with.

--
Erich Eickmeyer
Maintainer