Re: Naming of Ardour packages

Hi Jonathan,

On Fri, 2015-05-08 at 18:43 +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
> > Sent: Friday, May 08, 2015 at 11:09 AM
> > I'd do it like this (in Fedora >= 22):
> >
> > - Move version 2 to its own ardour2 package. This would get it
> > re-reviewed but I guess that's a mere formality.
> > - Reuse the ardour package as a meta-package which simply requires the
> > latest versioned package.
> > - Retire ardour3.
> >
> > What do you think?
>

> I think retiring ardour3 at this point is too early - I for one am
> still adjusting to the ardour4 interface.

my plan is to only retire it in not yet released Fedora versions, for
the reasons you outlined.

> Also, IIUC, you propose to simply add a Provides: ardour to the latest
> ardourN package to ensure that a dnf install ardour always installs
> the latest ardour package. The problem is that that will break for
> anyone currently with the current ardour (i.e.. ardour 2) package
> installed. After switching the package names as you suggest, when that
> person runs a dnf update, they'll get ardour4 installed as an update
> to their old ardour package (which contained ardour 2). They'd then
> need to do a dnf install adrdour2 (and optionally dnf remove ardour).
> Perhaps this isn't too much of an inconvenience, but I thought I
> should flag it.

It wouldn't work that way, only if ardour4 obsoleted ardour < 2.8.16-16
in our case. A mere Provides wouldn't do that.

> Thanks for working on packaging ardour, I for one am very grateful.

You're welcome,
Nils
--
Nils Philippsen      "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase
Red Hat               a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty