Re: SCaLE and LFNW

On 29 January 2015 at 21:55, Brian Monroe <briancmonroe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am ParadoxGuitarist! I'm interested in going to LFNW, but I'll need to
> check with the wife before I can commit.
>
> I really like your idea about the USB drives, here are some challenges that
> might pop up:
>
> I haven't had a lot of luck with persistent storage option when creating usb
> drives. SoaS I've heard works well, but I'm not sure how well it works with
> Jam.
> I also don't know if they decide to install from that USB if their music
> will transfer with them.... Though, hopefully they're savvy enough to know
> how to find it on the disk and copy it over, but if not it could give them
> negative impression of Fedora or Linux.

I don't think it will. I've used the overlay persistent storage, that
has a problem that once you run out of overlay it tends to freeze (or
did in the past). It's possible to create the image with home on an
actual filesystem on the USB, can't remember if this shows up as a
partition or is an image file, if a partition then it would be simple
enough for someone to find and copy a project off the attached USB
after an install.

> Jack sample settings could also give a bad impression if they're not the
> same either when they reboot.

plughw could work here, but it's really the installed system setup
that would need to be tweaked.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk