Re: Low Latency vs. Real Time Kernel - actual latencies ?

Hello Fedora musicians, I've been lurking this list for a little bit and this is my first time chiming in on something.

I think it is important to pursue an official realtime kernel for Fedora. I think a distribution focused on audio without a realtime kernel would have a serious bug, that IMO, would be worth delaying publication for.

Real Time Kernels are available from PlanetCCRMA:
    http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/fedora/linux/planetcore/20/x86_64/repoview/kernel-rt.html

There are concerns about the implementation of Real Time Kernel as expressed in the Musician's Guide:
     http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/15/html/Musicians_Guide/sect-Musicians_Guide-CCRMA_Security_and_Stability.html

I am not a systems programmer so I can't speak to these concerns.  Some of the names of the real time kernel developers listed on the PlanetCCRMA kernel-rt page are Red Hat employees.

I would like to see Fedora be the premier linux distribution for music.  But until we can overcome the concerns listed in the Musician's Guide we will probably not have a real time kernel in the Fedora repositories.  Maybe a Fedora "Re-Mix", or Fedora.Next and Workstation with the works with Fedora software library may break the ice.
-- Jeff