fedora jam spec/theming

Hi,

I was puzzling for a while over some things on the live CD that were
puzzling me about theming and KDE menu options and have finally taken
the time to look into it. Writing it up here while I remember.

Symptoms (all on the live cd, installed may be slightly different in places):
1. liveuser starts with blank wallpaper.
2. favourites menu is the KDE spin normal one, despite some %post code
in the spin kickstart.
Not so much a symptom as just not covered yet:
3. wrong splash

The blank wallpaper is actually quite simple, though it took a while
to figure out (mainly because KDE doesn't swap wallpaper immediately
on swapping themes): the oxygen theme specifies Ariya wallpaper, but
this is in kde-wallpapers, which is not installed. Since we want to
use a fedora-jam wallpaper the solution is of course to use the
fedora-jam theme instead.
In this commit:
http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/music-creation.git/commit/?id=2d6cba1b396d7867b6252a50ee36bb22dc212ac8
The theme is set in /etc/skel/.kde/share/config/plasmarc, an
alternative way of doing this would be to put the plasmarc in
/etc/kde. The first is copied to a new users home, the second acts to
set a system-wide default. Not sure which is preferable.
In the theme itself
http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/music-creation.git/tree/fedora-jam-kde-theme/src/desktoptheme/Fedora_Jam/metadata.desktop
the FallbackTheme is set to default (or air-netbook for the netbook).
This could be changed to oxygen to use the darker theme as a basis
while still setting the wallpaper.  (Aside: line 202 in the kickstart
needs to escape the $Version string when creating plasmarc.)
Assuming you've got the theme installed, etc/kde/plasmarc:
[$Version]
update_info=plasma_popupapplet_fix_groups.upd:PlasmaPopupAppletFixGroups2
[Theme]
name=Fedora_Jam
[Theme-plasma-netbook]
name=Fedora_Jam-netbook

Favourites menu, two things conflict. The Jam kickstart writes
.kde/share/config/kickoffrc into the liveuser home directory and
/etc/skel, but the fedora-live-kde-base.ks that's called as a basis
writes a /etc/rc.d/init.d/livesys that will overwrite that file later.
The Jam kickstart needs to modify that file to prevent the
FavoriteURLs field being replaced. A sed
-res'#^FavoriteURLs=.*#FavoriteURLs=NEWURLSGOHEREXXXX#' would fix
that. Again the kickoffrc for users other than 'liveuser' could go
into /etc/skel/.kde/share/config or /etc/kde. (Aside #2: on F16
mozilla-firefox.desktop is the name for the Firefox shortcut, on F18
it's firefox.desktop, so correct in the spin, but it had me puzzled
for a while when building on F16 to test.)

splash, again the model ksplash file can go in /etc/skel or /etc/kde.
By putting all of these in those directories I found I could create a
spin with working theming without a pre-created liveuser directory.
For the KSplashX theme:
[KSplash]
Engine=KSplashX
Theme=FedoraJam

For a QML theme:
[KSplash]
Engine=KSplashQML
Theme=F-Jam

Obviously this is all just cosmetic compared to the actual task of
having packages ready and working, but since the spin is meant to
showcase that effort it'll be nice to have it looking finished.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk