Re: Bugs/Changes/Ideas

On 07/12/2012 07:00 AM, Christopher Antila wrote:
On Wednesday 11 July 2012 23:44:27 Brian Monroe wrote:
I went ahead and installed the test spin and had a few thoughts. I'm going
to start off with stuff that's really more presentation, but then hopefully
move into more important areas (like bugs.) Here are some of my initial
ideas:

    1. I think it would be neat if we created our own KDE splash screen. I
    think it would seperate us from the KDE spin  upon first boot. I think
  it's good for users to be able to instantly recognize that they're booting
  into Fedora Jam, and not having any chance that they might be booting into
  something else. I'm confortable heading over to the KDE channel and asking
  for advice on how to do this to get it rolling.
    2. If we do our own splash screen, I'm pretty sure we can have our own
    unique icons show up instead of the typical Hard Drive, Sys Pref,
  Plasma, Web, and KDE icons show up. If we do pull our own, what ones
  should we use? I have a few ideas, but I could use input:
       1. Microphone
       2. Drums
       3. Bass
       4. Guitar
       5. 1/4" Cable ends
       6. Stage
       7. Violin
       8. Keyboard (black and white keys to represent Pianos, Organs, and
       Synths)
       9. Amp
       10. Headphones
       11. TurnTables
       12. Speakers
       13. Music Staff
       14. Mixing Board
       15. Jar of Jam.
       3. Can we edit some of the default KDE programs and startup items? I
    don't know what browser most of us use, but somehow I doubt that it's
    Konqueror. There's also a KDE chat client, and a daemon to help
  Konqueror start more quickly in the startup items. Don't think it should
  be enabled by default.
    4. Along those lines, I think we should change the default desktop items
    as well. The home  and trash items are great, but I think we should also
    include icons for our primary DAW, JACK manager, and primary notation
    software to make it easier for first time users. I installed it and
  thought to myself... ok... now what? A link to the musician's guide would
  be good too.  (Also for our testing day, A link for people to make
    suggestions/and/or bugreports, this would be removed when we submit the
    spin for release.)
    5. Again along the same lines, we should change the default "Favorites"
    in Kickoff to represent what we're trying to accomplish with our spin. I
    don't think it has to all be music related, but at least have a couple
  of music things in there.
    6. Likewise, I thnk the Program Catagories under the KDE launcher
    (Kickoff I think they call it) are poorly labled. Under Mixers, there's
    Rackarack (effects) and in the main multimedia group there are a bunch
  of mixer programs. (!?!?!?!) I tihnk it would be wise for us to get a new
  sub section we can throw programs into (Maybe titled ProAudio?) There's
  too much that can fall under MultiMedia (Everything from DAWs to Effects,
  to Video Player and to Programs that burn ISOs.) It's too much. Techically
  Graphics could have been under Multimedia, but they must have made their
  own group at some point. I think it's time for us to do the same. I was
  going to list some things that I think are out of place but the list grew
  to large so I'll make a sublist here of things I think are in odd places.
  1. LillyPond shouldn't be under utilities with all the other system tools.
       2. echomixer should be under mixers
       3. Rakarrack shouldn't be under mixers
       4. I just noticed the "Creation" folder under multi-media. I think
       that should be moved out of there and changed into our new group.
       5. There's a lot of Config programs for LASH, ALSA, HDSP, ect that
       should be put into their own folder.
    7. I didn't have time to update, so this may just be me, but both times
    I've booted, LASH crashed on me. I'm going to update and see if it does
  it again, but I also didn't want to forget hence the mention here. 8. Jack
  crashed on me twice trying to launch some synth programs. Same as above,
  so I didn't actually file any bug reports.

Looking back I'm realizing that a lot of this is fluff, but I really feel
like it will be good for our end users. Also, sorry for just vomitting a
bunch of problems, and not having any solutions/fixes. But let's face it.
Sometimes I don't know what the hell I'm doing. If someone wants to help
sponsor me and explain what I need to grab for fixes I'm completely willing
to do some of the foot work.

Hi:

I like many of your suggestions, and I don't think "fluff" can be dismissed.
Fedora already has good audio/music packages, so why bother with our own spin if
not for the fluff?

Also, I was having problems writing what I actually wanted to say, so it came
out as another one of my numbered lists. It's kind of the same thing I always
whine about, but it's what you get from a humanities scholar-in-training.

1.) We're Fedora, we're open source and open development, we're multicultural,
we're multilingual, we're not mainstream, we are welcoming, we are the four Fs.

2.) As you know, the graphics for our spin are very important. Graphics are
marketing and image-creating and generally very important to the feel of a
distribution.

3.) Given those points, let's use our spin to make a strong statement in favour
of the Fedora community's culture.

4.) We can most effectively represent our own experience of the Fedora community.
When we try to represent somebody else's, we're very likely to make a mistake.

5.) Let's make a list of all the musical practices we are involved in, and
collect images of Fedora community members participating in these things (or the
devices Fedora community members use to participate). By "we" I mean "all of
Fedora." We can write blog posts, ask people on IRC, post to mailing lists--
whatever it takes.

6.) Then we can try to fit everybody in, and we'll fail, but we can change it up
a bit every release to make it exciting and fair.

7.) We'll avoid the appearance that we authorize only particular kinds of
musical activities, or that we endorse certain activities over others.

8.) We'll also avoid accidentally misrepresenting what we stand for, why we
belong to Fedora, and why we're making our own spin. What I mean is, if fictional
contributor Jessica Wu uses Fedora to perform in a laptop orchestra, and we use
a photograph of her doing this in the spin, almost everybody will understand
that (A) she's making music with Fedora, (B) she's part of the Fedora community
because she believes in its values, (C) laptop orchestras are an acceptable
cultural practice, and (D) she doesn't represent everybody in Fedora.

I know there's a general distaste for actually showing people in artwork, but I
wonder how far we can push the limit.

Christopher.

The splash screen we though doing a website with information and plenty of links to stuff (The Musicians guide et.al), and have the browser open by default to said website as a splash screen. I belive Cristopher was going to look into this. We could also make a splash screen like Linux mint has, it should not take too much work (but i prefer the website idea).

We can all try some differnt icon themes for KDE and see if anything jumps out at us. I think long term we should have our own theme with icons, background, sounds, etc. I'm not quite sure what the Fedora guidelines is no this, so i'll leave it to someone else to tell me if that is even possible.

I'm going to look into what default KDE apps we want to replace/disable. There is plenty of adjustment that can be done here and any input is welcome

I love the ideas, and as Christopher said, there is no such thing as fluff.

As for the bugs, try the latest compose. There was en error in earlier composes where "usermod" was apparently not a valid command, so the user was not added to the audio and jackuser groups. This is now fixed.

--
Jørn Lomax
GSoC student Fedora Audio Spin